CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

NICU

I'm still playing catch-up.
As if my experience so far in the hospital wasn't lovely enough, overnight Thursday, the nursery & my nurse were concerned that Kaden had been throwing up too much after eating. My nurse contacted the pediatrician & she came mid-morning. The pediatrician said she wasn't too alarmed, but wanted to have some tests done on his stomach & was going to contact the neonatologist. The upper GI test & some others came back normal.
At about 4 pm, the CNA came in to get Kaden. She was taking him to the NICU & running more tests. I couldn't believe it. A few hours later, the neonatologist called our room & told us the tests came back normal (except the WBC were a bit low). The NICU was keeping him overnight for observation. Everything happened so fast. By that time I had to pump. We saw how much & the color of my Colostrum (pre-milk),which was same color of his throw up. I pumped 5 ounces in about a 1/2 hour. We (Jeff & I) came to conclusion, that he was getting too much, too fast! One of my nurses called me a cow, because I could pump so much. ;) It's just crazy!
Jeff went down to the NICU & took some milk to show the Dr. He was down there for awhile. {Scrubbing in & talking to the Dr & nurse} When he came back he told me he shouldn't even be in there. Kaden had an IV & was in an incubator. At 11 pm, Jeff wheeled me down to the NICU. When I saw Kaden I just wanted to cry. The IV in his little hand was so sad. I knew nothing was seriously wrong with him & they wouldn't let me feed him. They were just going to give him IV fluids & meds all night. Then do another CBC at 8 am. After an hour of holding him we decided to try & get some rest. I was already in so much physical pain & could barely stand & walk. Now I was an emotional wreck. Jeff went home for the night & I think I slept for maybe 3 hours off & on.
Friday afternoon, they let me come down & feed him after they received the CBC & it was normal. They still weren't going to release him. They wanted him to stay for a total of 48 hours. I was furious! I met with a lactation nurse. She said he was getting too much & I should feed him for 5 minutes then burp him & then feed him for 5 more. Most babies only eat a teaspoon per eating, the first few days & that's all most mother's can produce. I'm the minority. What he was getting was like us chugging a gallon of milk. One of the NICU nurses said I probably had enough milk to feed the whole floor. :)
Every 4 hours or less throughout the night, Jeff wheeled me down to the NICU. We were both exhausted. I didn't really care, at least I could be with Kaden.
Kaden was finally released at 12 pm Saturday. I was so excited!! :) We left there on another snowy day with one healthy baby & 52 ounces of milk! (Which is in my freezer, ready for the highest bidder. J/K. Jeff said we should sell it on Ebay!?!)
I now have a greater appreciation & understanding for mother's who can't take their babies home.


1 comment:

Kristina said...

Oh my, my heart goes out to you. I had both my babies in the NICU, Brock was in there for 63 days and Zack 8 days. It is the hardest thing ever.....Tha's funny about your milk, I was the same way, I actually had milk coming in before Brock was born, and he was even 2 months early..oh dear me...
Good that everything is all good now...Ya got to love and hate the NICU. What a sweet baby!!