After almost 9 hours of Pitocin, Penicillin, a 4 am epidural & a bunch of lactated ringers, the nurse (which was the 3rd by then) realized that Kaden was breach. The nurse decided to do an ultrasound right about the time (7:30 am) Dr. Smithing came in. He wondered what was going on. He was just as shocked as I was, because Kaden had always been head down. When did he flip? His heart rate & everything was fine. That was definitely comforting. The placenta was on top, so the option of trying to turn him was out. I was scheduled for a 12 pm c-section.
After everyone left the room, I broke down. The thought of a c-section was just too much! When you never think twice about it, it's very overwhelming. Immediately I wanted a blessing. Of course, on this day, the snow was rapidly falling, which made it hard for my parents to arrive quickly. Finally when they did, Jeff & my dad gave me a blessing. I felt immediately comforted. The power of the priesthood is amazing. Still the thought was terrifying!
I got bumped to 1:30 by an emergency c-section. Then bumped again by pre-term twins. So they were going to schedule me for 3. Since my Dr had rearranged his schedule for this c-section that was not going to happen, he decided to just wait until after his patients. So he scheduled it for 5 pm. Let's just say I was so thrilled to wait some more! I was hoping by then Kaden would turn. But he unfortunately never did. :(
When the Dr. came in at 5, to tell me things were just getting setup in the room, he said, "Believe it or not, they tried to bump us again. And I said no way!" Can you believe that?
When the Dr. came in at 5, to tell me things were just getting setup in the room, he said, "Believe it or not, they tried to bump us again. And I said no way!" Can you believe that?
At 5:15 they took me into the c-section room. I was extremely nervous. I couldn't believe this was really going to happen. My parents & Kaylee, were on their way.
A little bit into the process I heard, " Oh no" by Dr. Smithing, I wanted to cry. Not only was Kaden breech, but his hand came out first, which is called Transverse. He had to shove him back in & turn him. The pain was excruciating. Even with all the drugs & epidural, I still could feel the tugging. It was so awful. I wouldn't wish this on my enemy. Dr. Smithing was probably trying for 20 minutes to get him out & he told me he was sweating, because he was working so hard. (Sometimes he tells me things that I may not want to know, because I worked with him @ the Surgical Center.) Not a fun experience. I was holding on for dear life & they kept pumping me with drugs. I still relive it every time I tell this. Jeff sat kiddy-corner behind me. He knew he couldn't handle this procedure. Everything that went on, I'm glad he decided to sit.
FINALLY, @ 6:02 pm, I heard the cry that calmed all my worries. Kaden Jeffrey King was finally born. 8 lbs. 21 1/2 inches. I was so releaved! Dr.
Smithing showed me Kaden & Jeff snapped a picture. Let's just say, it's too scary to show. I am so happy Kaden is here & healthy!!
Kaylee couldn't wait to see & hold her baby brother!
The next morning when Jeff had gone to get some breakfast, my Dr came into see how I was doing. We briefly talked about what had happened the night before & he asked how I felt about it. I told him I wasn't happy having a C-section, but relieved to have a happy, healthy baby. He said a long time ago the baby wouldn't have survived the delivery -I guess because he was breech/transverse. I'm not really sure the extent of what he meant. I was too stunned to ask. - Then he said, "And neither would've you!" That hit me like a ton of bricks. I immediately got choked up. I am so grateful to be living in a time with modern technology. The knowledge of C- section & having medicine. I understand why & can't imagine how many, like the pioneers, died giving birth. I told Jeff about this conversation & he was stunned. It really puts life in perspective. We feel so blessed that everything in the end turned out okay.



4 comments:
It is about time. I love it. Now we can see the kids and you all the time.
I am so excited to see you on here! Kaden is such a beautiful baby! Congratulations!
Hey, by the way, thank you for putting a lily lane link on your blog! Just for that.. a free pendant! Send me a picture and I'll get one made for you!
Heather I am so happy that you are a blogger now- I love to see pictures of your kids! I can't believe your horrible delivery story- I'm glad everything turned out ok! You have such a cute family! I can't wait to see more.
Amber
Post a Comment